Today’s Scripture Readings
Epistle Reading: Romans 8:2-13
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you. Therefore, brethren, we are debtors – not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
Gospel Reading: Matthew 10:16-22
Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils and scourge you in their synagogues. You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles. But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you. Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved.
Saints and Feasts celebrated today
- Martyr Hyacinth of Caesarea, in Cappadocia, and those with him
- Translation of the relics of Hieromartyr Philip the Metropolitan of Moscow
- Venerable Anatolius of the Kiev Near Caves
- Venerable Anatolius the Recluse of the Kiev Far Caves
- St. Basil the Bishop of Ryazan
- Right-believing Princes Basil and Constantine Vsevolodovich of Yaroslavl
- Venerable John the Wonderworker of Yarenga, Solovki
- Venerable Longinus the Wonderworker of Yarenga, Solovki
- Blessed John of Moscow the Fool-For-Christ
- Venerable Nicodemus the Abbot of Kozhe Lake
- Martyrs Mark and Mocius
- St. Alexander the Founder of the Monastery of the “Unsleeping Ones”
- St. Anatolius the Patriarch of Constantinople
- Monkmartyr Gerasimus the New of Carpenision
- Icon of the Mother of God the “Milk-Giver” of the Hilandar Monastery on Mt.
- St. George the God-Bearer
Today’s Fasting Guidelines
Refrain from meat, fish, oil, wine, dairy, and eggs